About Me

My photo
Brevard, North Carolina, United States
I've been a full time studio potter and sculptor since 1994. I own The Duckpond Pottery, a retail pottery shop and venue for live original music located in the little mountain town of Brevard, North Carolina. "I've always wanted to be an old potter. I get closer to my goal everyday."--me

Friday, August 27, 2010

So, How Did The Mobile Garden Get Its Start?  

After a I finished my student teaching, a newly started holistic school in our area called Mountain Sun Community School asked that I'd visit their school and help them implement an interdisciplinary gardening program.  This school was only in its third year of operation and was currently running at a local church.  The school was in the process of locating their own property but in the meanwhile they had to abide by some restrictions inherent with their temporary location.  One of these was that no conventional in ground gardens could be created on the property.  Considering this obstacle, I began thinking of various configurations for a nimble style of gardening that would have absolutely no impact on the church grounds.  The thought soon occurred to me that some type of mobile container gardening would be the ticket, something that would meet the school's gardening needs and could also be evacuated from the property with little effort and minimal impact.  After considering different ideas for raised beds built on wheels, I then came to the idea of going vertical.

Earlier in the year I had come across a design in the blog, Container Gardening for a simple vertical garden using a sheet of plywood and attached plastic bottles.  I took that basic design, put it onto a fabricated chassis of salvaged bicycle tires, and voila', The Mobile Garden was born.  

No comments:

Post a Comment